Dovecot mail-crypt webmail can't read encrypted messages

Serveria Support support at serveria.com
Tue Oct 11 15:48:40 UTC 2022

> If someone has root they can just read the email storage files, no
> password needed.

We are discussing Dovecot with encrypted mail storage here.

> If someone has root, and dovecot has no code showing passwords in
> logs, the attacker can build THEIR OWN version of dovecot that
> "key-logs" all passwords to a remote server WITHOUT displaying
> passwords in the logs.

Please compare the time needed to: get in, enable debug logging, read
the log file with: get in, enable debug logging, realize it's not
working (some will stop here), consider your options, build THEIR OWN
version of dovecot that "key-logs" all passwords to a remote server
WITHOUT displaying passwords in the logs?

> This is what people mean when they say if someone has root you have
> bigger problems then dovecot logging.

I generally agree but only if the mail storage is unencrypted. With
encrypted storage I can think of many scenarios: corrupt law
enforcement, malicious freelance admin, social engineering tricks etc
etc etc when attackers will have not enough time/expertise to grab your
passwords.