LDAP just for passdb

Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay r_f at med-lo.eu
Fri Oct 14 19:57:58 UTC 2022

I actually saw that it was possible, and it works, but I came across another problem and I wonder if you have any tips about it:

On my current dovecot setup, I use SQL as the backend. So I have the following users:

francis at domain-a.com <mailto:francis at domaina.com>
francis at domain-b.com <mailto:francis at domain-b.com>

Those are separate users which their own mailboxes.

However, I have a freeipa that is configured for the `domain-a.com <http://domain-a.com/>` realm. However, since I am using `%n` for the uid search:

auth_bind_userdn = uid=%n,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=domain-a,dc=com
And
pass_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%n))

It of course leads up to both users above being able to authenticate with the same password.

Is there a way to limit ldap authentication to just one domain, or perform a search where both username and domain are checked? I could use the `mail``attribute to filter users, but I imagine that if two users have the same mail configured, I’d run into trouble….

Best,

Francis