adding caldav/carddav next to dovecot

Tom Talpey tom at talpey.com
Fri Oct 14 21:22:31 UTC 2022

On 10/14/2022 3:13 PM, dovecot at ptld.com wrote:
>> here, to date,
>>
>>    https://radicale.org/v3.html
>>
>> is very well behaved.
>

> Looking over radicale, i only see the option for plain text or MD5
> passwords. I don't see an option to have authentication against an
> existing DB, like the same used for Dovecot Authentication. I also don't
> see a way to configure caldav data to be stored in the same location as
> IMAP files. No %user %domain variables that can be used in the config
> path. A way to store calendars outside of linux user home directories
> since users are virtual.
>
> Did i just miss these features? Documentation or tutorials for this
> ability?

Radicale v1 used to be able to authenticate via IMAP, therefore it
would simply log into Dovecot via loopback and share the same auth.
For whatever reason, this was removed in v2, which was disappointing.

But, there's a project on github which adds it back via plugin. I
haven't tried it yet:
   https://github.com/comzeradd/radicale-imap
I've been using htpasswd in the meantime.

It is not difficult to configure Radicale storage for virtual users
using the "filesystem" backend. I just set the "filesystem_folder"
to point alongside the dovecot mail_location, and radicale resolves
the login name to a directory there.

I only use it at small scale, so I can't comment on performance with
10K users.