mdbox vs. maildir format

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Tue Oct 18 10:55:14 UTC 2022

On 10/18/22 18:17, Michael wrote:
> what about backup? how can i achieve a backup/snapshot of both, the mdbox (nfs share) and the index files (local raid) and assure they are consistent?

If you do your backups using doveadm backup, then the result should be consistent, at least in the sense that it would be usable. Your destination can also be set up similarly with separate storage for indexes.

However I'm pretty sure the consistency would be per mailbox ("folder"), so e.g. if a user moved a message from one mailbox to another, you could potentially end up with the message appearing in both mailboxes in the backup.