The end of Dovecot Director?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Oct 20 19:00:10 UTC 2022

Aki Tuomi said on Thu, 20 Oct 2022 21:41:53 +0300 (EEST)

>Most small/medium servers do not need director. You can use replicator
>get a pri/bu pair.

I've never needed to use replicator. I don't even know what a pri/bu
pair is. I just have fetchmail feed to procmail which delivers messages
into my Dovecot maildir, and then access the Dovecot IMAP server with
an email client. Hopefully I'll be able to continue doing it this way.

>Only the director part is being removed, rest of Dovecot remains. For
>the next major release we are also removing certain deprecated parts
>that have a replacement in elsewhere of the code.

Is there a document on the deprecations and their replacements? I'd
like to read it.

>The mail server functionality is going to remain 100% open source and
>free.

The preceding sentence is a huge relief for me. Thanks!

SteveT

Steve Litt
Summer 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times