The end of Dovecot Director?

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Fri Oct 21 16:57:56 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-20 22:19, Zhang Huangbin wrote:

>> On Oct 21, 2022, at 4:19 AM, Antonio Leding <tech at leding.net> wrote:
>>
>> My understanding is that Director is targeted toward large enterprise mail installations that will incorporate several servers for a given function. In such an environment, Director would be the fore-person\traffic-cop keeping things organized & squared-away.
>
> Director is used when you setup frontend servers in a load-balance cluster, proxy imap/pop3/lmtp/managesieve requests to backend Dovecot servers.
>
> I setup load-balance cluster for clients with HAProxy + KeepAlived + Dovecot Director running in frontend servers, so sad we have to find an alternative to replace Director in such case.
>
> It's not about "small/medium" servers, but the demand of imap/pop3/lmtp proxy service, especially in load-balance cluster.
>
> ----
> Zhang Huangbin, founder of:
> - iRedMail: Open source email server solution: https://www.iredmail.org/
> - Spider: Lightweight, on-premises Email Archiving Software: https://spiderd.io

Curious, trying to understand..

Why would not a true load balancer not be an attractive option for those
that need to load balance services across multiple front ends?

It is the model we use with most of our ISP's and scales very well.

The choice of load balancer is important, but with HA load balancers,
you are assured that you don't have a single point of failure, and you
can spread loads more granularly, eg POP, IMAP and other services.

Not to mention, you can use the same load balancer from many other
traffic shaping solutions.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."