The end of Dovecot Director?

justina colmena ~biz justina at colmena.biz
Fri Oct 21 16:59:01 UTC 2022

Nginx is an excellent suggestion for the purpose. However I do not like
German client certificates. That is far too much "proof" of identification
18/21++ on a public network with nowhere to hide and those of us who are
not German citizens and do not have the advantage of a friendly local
police jurisdiction with massive international clout and an assumed
legitimacy for all the online surveillance, policing, and copping with
unfounded sex charges etc. being pressed online.

Not that I care much for alcohol, but the analogy that comes to mind with
such "proof" of identity presented across the internet as a public
certificate is that of "public drunkenness," versus, say, "drinking
privately in one's quarters," i.e., making an encrypted connection, and
only then within the encrypted channel establishing identity and
authorization with a username and password or other means of
authentication.