The end of Dovecot Director?

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Mon Oct 24 16:22:53 UTC 2022

Il 21/10/22 11:38, Heiko Schlittermann ha scritto:
> Steff Majeur<afamiliartaste at proton.me>  (Do 20 Okt 2022 11:24:49 CEST):
>> I recently stumbled upon the following commit on the Dovecot core Github repository:
>> https://github.com/dovecot/core/commit/4a187116dc2311804be22724007d357323005358
>>
>> Apparently, Dovecot Director is going to be removed in the next major version of Dovecot and the commercial Dovecot cluster architecture will be its successor:
>> https://github.com/dovecot/documentation/blob/a85b742ec4fc2744db30a6943b3c25f004e46720/source/admin_manual/cluster/index.rst
>>
>> This would be a huge blow for many organizations around the world that are currently using Dovecot with Director in a shared storage environment.
> We - the communitiy - are free to continue development of the director.
> Especially large organizations should re-think their ideas of getting
> free software for free.
I fully agree with you that companies should not associate "free
software" as free/gratis, and many are already doing so (see RedHat,
which produces "free software" and all its customers who pay for
technical support).

And I think that even those who work on the development of Dovecot are
right to be paid.

But something different happened here, Open-Xchange removed an important
piece of free software code from Dovecot, for no technical reason, and
replaced it with a commercial "closed" software solution that is OX
Dovecot Pro.

All this shortly after the release of a new major release, thus
guaranteeing only a limited time of support to those using the Director,
with the only possibility of purchasing their commercial solution.

Director is not only used by large companies but also in small
installations consisting of 2 servers and cannot be immediately replaced
with Nginx as it has to manage the user/backend association for POP,
IMAP, LMTP, Managesieve.

Unfortunately this news is very far from the "Stay Open".

--
Alessio Cecchi
Postmaster @http://www.qboxmail.it