The end of Dovecot Director?

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Wed Oct 26 08:51:45 UTC 2022

> On 26/10/2022 11:41 EEST Narcis Garcia <debianlists at actiu.net> wrote:
>

> El 26/10/22 a les 10:29, MK ha escrit:
> >> To be clear, we are not removing proxying features from Dovecot either. Just the director ring feature.
> > To be realy clear, you are not removing the proxy feature in dovecot that can be used to proxy users to different backend server on which
> > the users mailboxes are stored?
> >
> > Thanks Oliver
> >

> Does this removal include or exclude IMAP backends?
>
> --
>
> Narcis Garcia

No. The only thing removed is the director component. Proxying works, IMAP backends are not removed. Director is responsible for mapping users to particular hosts.

This change will affect mostly people with more than 1-2 backends, with 2 backends you can still have primary/backup setup. Dovecot will still happily proxy connections to your backends.

AKi