The end of Dovecot Director?

Jan Bramkamp crest at rlwinm.de
Thu Oct 27 10:59:05 UTC 2022

On 27.10.22 04:24, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Director never worked especially well, and for most use cases it's just unnecessarily complex. I think usually it could be replaced with:
>
>   * Database (sql/ldap/whatever) containing user -> backend table.
>   * Configure Dovecot proxy to use this database as passdb.
>   * For HA change dovemon to update the database if backend is down to move users elsewhere
>   * When backend comes up, move users into it. Set delay_until extra field for user in passdb to 5 seconds into future and kick the user in its old backend (e.g. via doveadm HTTP API).
>
> All this can be done with existing Dovecot. Should be much easier to build a project doing this than forking director.
Thank you for putting what is about to be lost to the community edition
into an operational perspectiv: no reason to panic. Nobody is taking
replicated active-passive pairs from small to medium scale operators.
Neither are the hooks required for more fancy load balancing and
steering on the chopping block.