Indexing Mail faster

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Sun Jan 25 18:32:46 UTC 2015

On Jan 25, 2015, at 5:05 AM, Thomas Leuxner <tlx at leuxner.net> wrote:
> The namespace "Virtual" will look for its configuration in the user's home directory:
>
> namespace {
>  location = virtual:~/mdbox/virtual
>  prefix = Virtual/
>  separator = /
> }
>
> Inside the ~/mdbox/virtual directory the actual query is defined in directory 'Flagged' (that will show up in the MUA as sub-dir). The actual search/query is defined in file 'dovecot-virtual' which will create the "magic":
>
> $ cat virtual/Flagged/dovecot-virtual
> *
> Public/*
>  flagged
>
> Another example, the one I used in the original reply, is 'gluing' together archives as a single view:
>
> $ cat virtual/Postfix-Users/dovecot-virtual
> Public/Archive/Mailing-Lists/Postfix-Users/*
> Public/Mailing-Lists/Postfix-Users
>  all

This all sounds interesting. Is there anything i can read to understand what the purpose of Virtual is and why this would help? It sounds like you are using a shared space for mailing lists (which I can see would be useful if you had many people subscribing to the same lists). If so, doesn’t each user lose their indications of what messages are read or replied to?

--
'But you ain't part of it, are you?' said Granny conversationally. 'You
try, but you always find yourself watchin' yourself watchin' people, eh?