Dovecot Virtual Plugin Use Cases (was Re: Indexing Mail faster)

Thomas Leuxner tlx at leuxner.net
Sun Jan 25 18:59:00 UTC 2015

* LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> 2015.01.25 19:32:

> > Another example, the one I used in the original reply, is 'gluing' together archives as a single view:
> >
> > $ cat virtual/Postfix-Users/dovecot-virtual
> > Public/Archive/Mailing-Lists/Postfix-Users/*
> > Public/Mailing-Lists/Postfix-Users
> >  all
>
> This all sounds interesting. Is there anything i can read to understand what the purpose of Virtual is and why this would help? It sounds like you are using a shared space for mailing lists (which I can see would be useful if you had many people subscribing to the same lists). If so, doesn’t each user lose their indications of what messages are read or replied to?

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual

It's a bit hard to wrap your head around it in the beginning, but once you understand what it can do, I'm sure you'll find a use case. Think of it as special view for all messages in Dovecot. You define which set of messages you want to display as a mailbox/folder. This view (or multiple views) is being updated dynamically going forward.

For instance you can set up a certain filter/selection like you can with a modern MUA. The difference however is: your Virtual view(s) will be available regardless which client you are using, whether they have integrated filters capabilities - or not.