submission_host auth

k v sintensa at outlook.com
Tue Jan 17 18:11:29 UTC 2023

Thanks for the reply, postfix + dovecot sasl configured and working properly. My question is about "adding dovecot authentication when sending emails via submission_host".

Let's say we have dovecot + sieve plugin container.
Dovecot configured to use remote SMTP submission host to send messages:
submission_host = postfix.example.com:587

User foo at example.com has the following sieve script:
require ["fileinto", "copy", "vacation", "date", "relational"] ;
redirect :copy "bar at example.com";
keep;

baz at example.com sending email to foo at example.com

dovecot lmtp log:
lmtp(foo at example.com)<7670><QTsrNZjdxmP2HQAAaVGrHw>: Info: sieve: msgid=<63fce409f26b1a67785a475a00034a05 at mail.example.com>: redirect action: failed to redirect message to <bar at example.com>: smtp(postfix.example.com:587): RCPT TO failed: 554 5.7.1 <bar at example.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied (permanent failure)
lmtp(foo at example.com)<7670><QTsrNZjdxmP2HQAAaVGrHw>: Info: sieve: msgid=<63fce409f26b1a67785a475a00034a05 at mail.example.com>: stored mail into mailbox 'INBOX'
lmtp(foo at example.com)<7670><QTsrNZjdxmP2HQAAaVGrHw>: Info: sieve: Execution of script /var/dovecot/example.com/foo/foo.sieve failed, but implicit keep was successful (user logfile /var/dovecot/example.com/foo/foo.sieve.log may reveal additional details)

sieve.log
error: msgid=<63fce409f26b1a67785a475a00034a05 at mail.example.com>: redirect action: failed to redirect message to <bar at example.com>: smtp(postfix.example.com:587): RCPT TO failed: 554 5.7.1 <bar at example.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied (permanent failure).

postfix log:

redirect :copy action failed, its expected behavior, dovecot do not auth when sending email via submisson_host.
If there is setting like
submission_host_master_user = master at example.com
submission_host_master_password = masterpass
to do authentication as master user in postfix who can send email as any user...