submission_host auth

dovecot at ptld.com dovecot at ptld.com
Tue Jan 17 20:18:13 UTC 2023

> Let's say we have dovecot + sieve plugin container.
> Dovecot configured to use remote SMTP submission host to send messages:
> submission_host = postfix.example.com:587

I reviewed my config to see how i did it. I think you are right and SASL isn't used here. I have dovecot and postfix on the same machine and in dovecot i set
     submission_host = localhost:25

Then in my sieve filters i set
     sieve_redirect_envelope_from = sender

I use SPF, DKIM, and DMARC

To test this i have (fictitious) staff at work.com with a forward filter to personal at home.com
I sent an email from customer at random.com to staff at work.com
@work.com server then sends a forwarded email to personal at home.com with To:staff at work.com and From:customer at random.com

Checking the @home.com logs i can see that SPF failed because @work.com server sent an email from @random.com, however it had valid DKIM signatures from both @work.com and @random.com so DMARC passed and the email was accepted.

I guess if the @random.com mail server only implemented SPF and not included a DKIM signature and DMARC policy then the @home.com server would have rejected the forwarded email.

I know this might not be the best solution you are looking for, but it is the best i could figure out to allow sieve forwarding. There is no way for a forwarded email to SASL authenticate because no one is logged in or involved in the process of LMTP receiving mail for delivery from "the world". How is the MTA supposed to know the SASL password for staff at work.com?