Custom SASL authentication

David Koski dkoski at sutinen.com
Fri Mar 17 22:44:47 UTC 2023

Hello,

I'm looking for a good way to apply a custom hash to passwords.  My hope
is to add passwords to a (MySQL) database: INSERT INTO users
(user='joblo', pass=MYHASH('plain-password')..

For SASL authentication, my thought first was to apply the same hash to
the issued password and compare it with the hashed password in the
database.  I soon discovered the sql driver supplied by Dovecot doesn't
provide that ability, unless I'm missing something.

I'm looking for documentation on how to implement a custom
authentication script if needed.

Regards,
David Koski
dkoski at sutinen.com