Remote backup of IMAP user fails with dsync_remote epoll_ctl error

dml at plumeriahale.net dml at plumeriahale.net
Mon Mar 20 21:05:42 UTC 2023

I’m trying backup a user’s IMAP folders from a system running dovecot 2.1.7. to a system running dovecot 2.3.19.1. After much perusing of the web and Dovecot documentation I tried this:

     1) On the 2.1.7 host set up the doveadm server to listen on TCP port 2425 and defined a doveadm_password value

     2) Issued the following command on the 2.13.19.1 system:

     3) The command returned the following errors:

            Error: doveadm server disconnected before handshake: EOF
            Error: Command backup failed for <username>: EOF

     4) In the Dovecot log on the 2.1.7 system I found the following error message:

           dsync(<username>): Error: user <username>: Initialization failed: Namespace '': Unknown mail storage driver tcp
           dovecot: dsync(<username>): Fatal: User init failed

A couple of questions:

    1) I thought that setting up doveadm-server as an inet_listener (with a password) meant that all communications (including the backup) occurred over that link - is that not correct?
Or does SSH also need to be enabled as well?

    2) Am I specifying the arguments correctly? The definition of the destination argument is confusing in the documentation - if doveadm is trying to backup a user’s IMAP mailboxes from a remote source, and you’ve already specified the information needed to connect to the remote sources doveadm-server why would the source need to be specified again via the TCP: argument?