Read-only / archive mode for IMAP mailboxes?

Rᴇɴᴇ́ Pꜰᴇɪꜰꜰᴇʀ lynx at luchs.at
Mon Mar 20 21:26:01 UTC 2023

On mars 20, 2023 at 2002 +0100, Robert Schetterer appeared and said:
> Am 20.03.23 um 18:26 schrieb Brendan Braybrook:
> > check out the imap acl support:
> > https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/acl/
> >
> > On 2023-03-20 10:12, Rᴇɴᴇ́ Pꜰᴇɪꜰꜰᴇʀ wrote:
> > >
> > > We are currently exploring email archiving solutions. Is there a way
> > > to use an
> > > IMAP mailbox in read-only / archive mode? The requirement is that
> > > delibveries of
> > > new emails should be possible (via SMTP/LMTP), but no messages
> > > should be deleted
> > > via IMAP access. …
>
> years ago i created a archive concept
>
> https://blog.sys4.de/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern-de.html
> read only via imap acl should also be addable

Thanks for the hints. I'll have a look.

> but however read
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_archiving
>
> when it comes to i.e
>
> Regulatory compliance etc

In the use case we have in mind the mailboxes belong to their respective users.
It's just an extension of their normal mailbox, because they use a mail client
that cannot handle large mailboxes (due to inadequate IMAP support). Also the
usual retention polices apply, but the mail client in question can't handle even
"normal" retention periods.

Best regards,
René.

--
  )\._.,--....,'``.  fL  Let GNU/Linux work for you while you take a nap.
 /,   _.. \   _\  (`._ ,. R. Pfeiffer <lynx at luchs.at> + https://web.luchs.at/