[Dovecot] Dovecot for production environment

Jared redjar at redjar.org
Fri Apr 9 00:35:55 EEST 2004

I am running it in a production environment with about 500 users.  I
wasn't particularly excited about running pre 1.0 pop3 imap server
software but it had all the features I was after.

I was looking for:

- LDAP authentication
- POP3, POP3S, IMAP, IMAPS
- mbox support (simultaneous support for maildir is also nice since
we'll hopefully migrate sometime soon.)
- easy but powerful configuration
- a nice responsive developer and support community
- uw-imap compatibility (that's what we were running before)
- written with security in mind
- good documentation
- open source and Free

It's also nicely packaged for debian by the nice folks at
braincells.com.

I've been mostly happy.  Some things still feel a little fragile.
We've had corrupted mboxes a few times, but I haven't had time to
figure what is at fault.  I suppose certain pop clients could be the
problem.  The LDAP authentication doesn't seem to work well with
stunnel. Other than these few small blips, it's been running flawlessly
for over 8 months.

One other concern which worries me a little, is that the primary
developer Timo seems to have gotten busy or uninterested recently.  He
was clearly going above and beyond by responding to every question
within minutes, but looking at the archives recently he is posting a
lot less.  I just hope he's busy and not burned out because his work on
dovecot is amazing.

-jared