[Dovecot] Feature request: more log info/stats

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 27 23:56:25 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 09:13, Christian Balzer wrote:
> >> Feature request:=20
> >> More extensive session information and statistics in the logs.
> >
> >I've thought about doing this with a plugin, so everyone can decide what
> >exactly they want to log. The plugin API should probably be changed in
> >some way to support this more easily..
> >
> I'm sure I can mobilize some local talent to work on a plugin once the
> API is in what you would deem a stable state.

I think writing the plugin itself doesn't take more than few minutes
when there's simple API for it. It's the API designing that takes time..

I think lib-index API is pretty great now, mail-storage API needs some
heavy redesigning, and imap/pop3-specific plugin API hardly exists yet.
What would it need? At least make it possible to replace, extend or just
transparently hook into existing commands (pre, post,
somewhere-in-the-middle?) and create new commands. Creating and
replacing already works. Figuring out how extending works could be
tricky. Mail-storage API already allows hooking into it. What else? ..