[Dovecot] Dovecot & SquirrelMail

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Sun Aug 14 22:17:31 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 01:44 +1000, admin at downend.org wrote:
> Update On the Following:
> Hey Everyone got some good news and some wierd things...
>
> Firstly,
> netstat -ltnp | grep ':143' -- does not show an output
> telnet localhost 143 -- Cannot Connect
>
> Secondly,
> I have no firewall installed.
>
> Thirdly,
> If I type "mail" as the user in SSH I can read my mail and I can send mail from
> other servers... which is strange considering it cannot connect
>
> Fourthly,
> /etc/init.d/dovecot start (Just start) -- Does not show an output.
> pidof dovecot -- Does not state a process for dovecot
>
> Any ideas what I should do... or anyone knows the reason.
> I checked mail.err and comes up with the following:
> Aug 14 07:15:04 aries imap-login: Can't load private key file
> /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pe..................
>
> and of course because of the above SquirrelMail cannot detect the Dovecot Imap
> Server.
>
> I would appreciate some step to step guidience as it is getting important.
> I also appreciate the people who have helped me and thank you for not being
> cocky... or big headed...
>
> Once dovecot is running I won't be touching it for a very long time :)
> Regards,
> Mark Smith

OK, first try looking at /var/log/maillog (assuming that is your dovecot
logging file) and see if there are any errors, second make sure you have
something along the lines of "protocols = imap" in your dovecot.conf
file (it is usually near the top).  If you are using IMAPS (SSL IMAP) it
runs on a different port (can't remember what it is off the top of my
head).

Regards
Andrew

--