[Dovecot] Failed authentication to a mysql database (bug or PEBKAC?)

Michael Gabb megamimi at gmx.de
Mon Aug 15 22:47:22 EEST 2005

Timo Sirainen schrieb:
> On 15.8.2005, at 12:21, Michael Gabb wrote:
>
>> I inserted this few lines just before the "mysql_real_connect()" and
>> alle I get ist correct output (means: "User -> my_user, Password ->
>> my_password")
>

> I can't really then say why it doesn't work. If everything gets sent
> right to mysql_real_connect(), then it's all mysql's job from there on..
> If it works with 0.99.x, is it maybe using a different version of mysql
> library?

All versions are linked against the same mysql library (version
4.1.10a-3, made by SuSE).

>> 24558 open("/usr/share/mysql/charsets/Index.xml",
>> O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 8
>

> This brings to my mind that are aren't any non-ascii characters in the
> user/password?

Hm, thats tricky. Since SuSE uses UTF-8 as charset by default. Could
this cause the trouble (when the dovecot-mysql.conf is in UTF-8)? I have
to test this tomorrow. But why doesn't have 0.99x any problem with this?

The password itself consists of only alphanumeric characters. Should be
no problem.

>> 24558 read(7, "\377\25\4#28000Access denied for user "..., 75) = 75
>

> Mysql logs don't say more specific reason why it won't work?

No. I get only something like "Access denied for 'my_user' @ localhost
(Using Password: YES)"

I don#t know exactly because I'm not at work now, but I will mail it
tomorrow.

> Hmm. Maybe it's not user/password itself, but the database that you're
> connecting to isn't right?
No, everythings fine. Nevertheless I'm going through it tomorrow one
more time to be sure.

--
www.megamimi.de.vu