[Dovecot] Failed authentication to a mysql database (bug or PEBKAC?)

Michael Gabb megamimi at gmx.de
Tue Aug 16 09:03:30 EEST 2005

Michael Gabb schrieb:

> Hm, thats tricky. Since SuSE uses UTF-8 as charset by default. Could
> this cause the trouble (when the dovecot-mysql.conf is in UTF-8)? I have
> to test this tomorrow. But why doesn't have 0.99x any problem with this?
>
> The password itself consists of only alphanumeric characters. Should be
> no problem.

Well, i said something wrong here. SuSE only uses UTF-8 when installed
with an X environement. The dovecot-mysql.conf is plain ascii. file(1) says:

"dovecot-mysql.conf: ASCII English text"

>>Mysql logs don't say more specific reason why it won't work?
>>

> No. I get only something like "Access denied for 'my_user' @ localhost
> (Using Password: YES)"
>
> I don#t know exactly because I'm not at work now, but I will mail it
> tomorrow.

Here's what mysql exactly says about it:
"76 Connect     Access denied for user 'my_user'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)"

>>Hmm. Maybe it's not user/password itself, but the database that you're
>>connecting to isn't right?
>
> No, everythings fine. Nevertheless I'm going through it tomorrow one
> more time to be sure.

Every parameter of the connect string ist verified by me one more time.
No problems here.

--
www.megamimi.de.vu