[Dovecot] Sending email with IMAP instead of SMTP?

Amelia A Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Tue Aug 16 21:36:11 EEST 2005

On 2005-08-16 13:43:46 -0400 Marc Perkel <marc at perkel.com> wrote:
> Andrew Hutchings wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 10:30 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>
>> Would it really be all that useful though?  I can't see it making
>> dovecot 1.0 at least.  SMTP is standard for mail relaying for a very
>> good reason.
>>
> This is all just theoretical. The idea isn't to eliminate SMTP. Servers
> would
> still talk SMTP to each other. The advantage is that when you configure a
> client you would only have to configure the IMAP. It wouldn't require an
> additional step for setting up outgoing email. And on the server end you
> wouldn't have to set up SMTP authentication because the IMAP would already
> do
> that for you. IMAP would act as a transport to get the outgoing mail from
> the
> client to the SMTP server.

So, just a particular IMAP mailbox, then?  And what would happen if you
copied a random received email into that box?  Say, one to the dovecot
mailing list?

How do you do blind carbon copy?  Despite the pseudo-header displayed by
mail clients (and typically saved as a Bcc: header in a sent-mail box, if
your MUA is configured to store sent mails), this is not supplied to the
outgoing SMTP server as a header.

Or, in other words, how much header munging does the IMAP-send-enabled MUA
do, and how much is left to the IMAP-send-enabled imapd?  If imapd sets SMTP
MAIL FROM:, does it also munge From:?  Sender:?  Resent-From:?  List-From:?
X-Secret-Message-From:?

Not saying that these issues can't be resolved, just that they do exist, and
consequently MUST be resolved; depending on how much complexity
implementation requires of the server versus the MUA, you'll see different
implementation results.

The two use cases suggested seem to be: reduce transmission time for
sending/storing as sent-mail; reduce configuration complexity.  For
reduction of configuration complexity, it will depend on support for the
capability in clients commonly used by less technical users.  Reduction of
transmission time alone seems marginal as a use case, given possible
complexities and interoperability issues.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
The less I seek my source for some definitive, the closer I am to fine.