[Dovecot] a few questions about my experience with alpha1

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 28 22:12:09 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 22:54 -0400, Glenn Leavell wrote:
> 2)  After sending dovecot a HUP signal, the logs will report something
> like:
>
> 	Warning: SIGHUP received - reloading configuration
>
> And everything seems to work fine.  However, *sometimes* after sending
> a HUP signal, logging will stop indefinitely.  Has anyone else noticed
> anything similar?

Is it only logging that stops, or does everything else stop as well? How
about sending SIGHUP again, does it fix the problem? Or if not, does
SIGUSR1 fix it (SIGUSR1 only reopens log files)?

> 3)  We use UW in production, and I'm new to any real use of namespaces.
> Almost all of our clients use the root "~/Mail/" to find their folders (in
> $HOME/Mail/) and their INBOXes are located in $HOME/.inbox.  A few people
> actually find their folders with the direct path Mail/foldername.  So, I'm
> trying to configure Dovecot to work with any of these roots / prefixes:
>   namespace private {
>      separator = /
>      prefix =
>      location = mbox:%h/Mail/:INBOX=%h/.inbox:INDEX=%h/Mail/
>      inbox = yes
>      hidden = no
>   }

The INDEX=%h/Mail/ shouldn't be needed because the default directory is
the same as the directory you gave after mbox:, ie. same one.

>   # This is the standard ~/Mail/ namespace that our clients tend to use
>   namespace private {
>      separator = /
>      prefix = ~/Mail/
>      location = mbox:%h/Mail/
>      hidden = yes
>   }

Shouldn't you also add :INBOX=%h/.inbox here?

>   namespace private {
>      separator = /
>      prefix = Mail/
>      location = mbox:%h/Mail/
>      hidden = yes
>   }

And here?

> So, is this the best way to configure the namespaces for what I'm trying to
> accomplish?  And any pointers on how to interpret what Dovecot is working
> through with regard to the attached logs would be appreciated.  Notice the
> "Sending log messages too fast, throttling.." message (again, generated
> from that single login command).  What might be causing that?

If it's finding everything correctly, then only problem you have is that
you have set mail_debug=yes. The throttling message comes because imap
process is sending log messages too quickly and Dovecot thinks it could
benefit from having to be stalled for a while in case it's trying to
flood your logs full.

> By the way, is there any real difference between the use of %h/Mail and the
> possible use of ~/Mail in the location fields above?

%h works in all cases, ~/ works only after "mbox:" or "maildir:" string,
so %h is preferred until the location/default_mail_env setting itself is
split to multiple settings (in Dovecot 2.0).