[Dovecot] a few questions about my experience with alpha1

Glenn Leavell glenn at usg.edu
Mon Aug 29 22:02:04 EEST 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 10:12:09PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 22:54 -0400, Glenn Leavell wrote:
> > 2)  After sending dovecot a HUP signal, the logs will report something
> > like:
> >
> > 	Warning: SIGHUP received - reloading configuration
> >
> > And everything seems to work fine.  However, *sometimes* after sending
> > a HUP signal, logging will stop indefinitely.  Has anyone else noticed
> > anything similar?
>
> Is it only logging that stops, or does everything else stop as well? How
> about sending SIGHUP again, does it fix the problem? Or if not, does
> SIGUSR1 fix it (SIGUSR1 only reopens log files)?

Thanks very much for the followup and for the help.  It's only the logging
that stops; the service continues to run just fine.  Sending another SIGHUP
or a SIGUSR1 does NOT kickstart the logging once it's stopped.  I can
reproduce the problem consistently right now.

> > 3)  We use UW in production, and I'm new to any real use of namespaces.
> > Almost all of our clients use the root "~/Mail/" to find their folders (in
> > $HOME/Mail/) and their INBOXes are located in $HOME/.inbox.  A few people
> > actually find their folders with the direct path Mail/foldername.  So, I'm
> > trying to configure Dovecot to work with any of these roots / prefixes:
> >   namespace private {
> >      separator = /
> >      prefix =
> >      location = mbox:%h/Mail/:INBOX=%h/.inbox:INDEX=%h/Mail/
> >      inbox = yes
> >      hidden = no
> >   }
>
> The INDEX=%h/Mail/ shouldn't be needed because the default directory is
> the same as the directory you gave after mbox:, ie. same one.

Does this default also apply to the location of the index files for INBOX?
INBOX is %h/.inbox, and I was attempting to consolidate all of the indexes
in %h/Mail/.imap/

I read this in the docs:

  Index files are by default stored under the same directory as mails.
  With maildir they are stored in the actual maildirs, with mbox they are
  stored under .imap/ directory. You can change these by adding
  :INDEX=location to location string.

And I took that to mean that index files for %h/.inbox would get stored in
%h by default.  I was thinking that having the index files
for INBOX in the same place as the other index files might be nice in terms
of organization, but there really may not be a good reason to force that.

> >   # This is the standard ~/Mail/ namespace that our clients tend to use
> >   namespace private {
> >      separator = /
> >      prefix = ~/Mail/
> >      location = mbox:%h/Mail/
> >      hidden = yes
> >   }
>
> Shouldn't you also add :INBOX=%h/.inbox here?

That seems reasonable.  I think I was thrown off by this in the config
file:

  #There can be only one INBOX, and this setting defines which namespace
  #has it.
  inbox = yes

I took this to mean that it would be a good idea to have "inbox=yes" and a
location for an INBOX path only in the default namespace, and that Dovecot
would then find and include the INBOX when appropriate.  But given your
suggestion above, I obviously don't understand.  What does the single
"inbox=yes" setting do separate from the explicit listing of an INBOX path
in multiple namespaces?

By the way, using the configuration above, where INBOX is only included
in the default namespace, the command 'LIST "~/Mail/" *' DOES
include INBOX among the list of returned folders:

	* LIST (\Unmarked) "/" "INBOX"

Thanks again,
Glenn

--
Glenn Leavell <glenn at usg.edu>
Office of Information and Instructional Technology