[Dovecot] Can't create subfolders of my INBOX or delete folders with IMAP

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Thu Mar 3 23:57:18 EET 2005

Matthew Exon wrote:
> Yes: interesting effect.  When you create a folder with a trailing
> slash, the created folder is greyed out.  You can then create subfolders
> in the greyed out folders by right clicking on them.  I'd be interested
> to see where this functionality is documented :-/
>
> So your explanation seems right, that I can't delete folders because the
> Trash folder can't have subfolders.  It looks like Thunderbird does have
> some explicit support for the node/leaf model (the greyed out folder
> names), but this support is incomplete, because it doesn't recognise
> that this will make it impossible to delete a folder.
>
> I guess using some other client to delete folders is a solution for that
> - but what I really want to do is to enable INBOX and Trash to have
> subfolders, which must be a server-side thing.  Anyone have a suggestion
> for that?

Well, the solution could be using Maildir instead of mbox as mail
storage format. Since the traditional mbox format uses one file per mail
 folder, and one directory per subfolder, you can't keep both mail and
folders in the same folder. (A folder is either a file containing mail
or a directory containing other files and directories, but not both).

--
Magnus Holmgren
holmgren at lysator.liu.se