[Dovecot] Can't create subfolders of my INBOX or delete folders with IMAP

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Mar 4 02:05:34 EET 2005

Matthew Exon wrote:
> 1) Is there some system wide setting for this?  I don't want to port my
> own mailboxes, and then have it be the same old mbox stuff for the next
> person I create an account for.  A lot of the documentation sorta
> answers this, but it assumes you're setting up a brand new system, not
> trying to modify an existing one.

There is for Dovecot... you may have to do other work to convince your LDA to
do the same.

> 2) What's the best way to do this on a Debian system?  Was there some
> setting I missed when I was setting up the box?  I would much rather set
> a debconf setting than fool around inside a config file.

To be honest, I've never looked at that.  In fact, the only machines I've run
IMAP servers on, to date, have been Solaris.

> 2) What's going to happen to /var/spool/mail?  That looks like a mbox
> thing.  I'd much rather have all my mail in one place, rather than in
> two places like now.

In my case, I've told Postfix to deliver mail in Maildir format into '.imap'
in the user's home dir.  So, /var/spool/mail goes unused for me.

> I installed mb2md, but then I got cold feet about whether it was likely
> to work or not, so I haven't run it yet...

Well, I'm all for migrating to Maildir.  It made sense to me the first time I
heard about it, and after seeing all the pain Timo and others have suffered
trying to make mbox work, I'm sure I made the right choice.

--
Curtis Maloney