[Dovecot] problems with migration to Maildir

F. Even dovecotlists at elitists.org
Sun Mar 13 08:39:16 EET 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 08:39 -0600, F. Even wrote:
>
>>namespace private {
>>   separator = /
>>   inbox = yes
>>   location = maildir:~/Maildir
>>}
>>namespace private {
>>   separator = /
>>   location = mbox:~/mail
>>}
>>
>>I would like to have access to the mbox hierarchy, but I want all new
>>folders by default created in ~/Maildir.  How do I go about acheiving this?
>

> If you don't want to give some prefix to mbox, but you'd want Dovecot to
> automatically figure out in which namespaces the mailboxes are.. Sorry,
> not possible. Perhaps you could do that by changing the code (some
> stat()ing in namespace_find() might do it).

Well...I had a prefix the second namespace, and it was appending the
name of the prefix to the beginning of each folder.  It didn't work
right, so I removed the prefix and everything looked fine, nice and
unified even...but I didn't understand why by default it was trying to
create folders in the mbox hierarchy.

I think I figured out the issue though...I had removed the "prefix"
completely from the first definition, that might have caused the
problem, because it works as expected with this configuration:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
   prefix =