[Dovecot] problems with migration to Maildir

F. Even dovecotlists at elitists.org
Sun Mar 13 10:37:30 EET 2005

F. Even wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 08:39 -0600, F. Even wrote:
> I think I figured out the issue though...I had removed the "prefix"
> completely from the first definition, that might have caused the
> problem, because it works as expected with this configuration:
>
> namespace private {
>   separator = /
>   inbox = yes
>   prefix =
>   location = maildir:~/Maildir
> }
> namespace private {
>   separator = /
>   prefix = "z_mbox/"
>   location = mbox:~/mail
> }

Is there any way to disable the IMAP lookup for the second namespace if
you make it hidden?  Some users don't need the old mail folder at all,
so what I had did was delete that folder from their accounts, then added
the "hidden = yes" to that second namespace (the mbox one), yet when an
account that did not have that namespace configured went to check his
e-mail, imap through off the following error:

Mar 13 01:45:37 cerebus dovecot: imap-login: Login: user [ip.ad.dr.es]
Mar 13 01:45:37 cerebus dovecot: IMAP(user): Invalid mbox path
/home/user/mail: No such file or directory
Mar 13 01:45:37 cerebus dovecot: IMAP(user): Failed to create storage
for 'z_mbox/' with data: mbox:/home/user/mail
Mar 13 01:45:37 cerebus dovecot: child 38630 (imap) returned error 89
Mar 13 01:48:38 cerebus dovecot: imap-login: Login: user [ip.ad.dr.es]

The account should not be seeing that namespace by default...so I'm not
sure why the server insists on denying the client access due to not
having the necessary folders in their $HOME to be compatible with that
namespace.  I've since created an empty folder in each of the
directories to silence the alerts...but somewhat annoying as only a
couple users really need to use the "legacy namespace."

Thanks,
Frank