[Dovecot] Re: (no subject)

Geo Carncross geocar-dovecot at internetconnection.net
Tue Mar 15 19:02:26 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 11:32 -0500, John Peacock wrote:
> Geo Carncross wrote:

> > In thunderbird:
> >
> > Edit -> Find -> Search Messages (Shift-F)
> > change "field" to "Customize"
> > enter "Message-ID" -> click "Add"
> > Click OK
> > pick "Message-ID" from field-list
> > enter message ID into contains-field
> > hit Search.
>
> That's not what I would consider easy (in the sense that the client
> would automatically understand the Message-ID in context).

I'm so glad I don't have to agree with what you consider "easy".

I happen find that to be about as easy as searching for anything else in
Thunderbird.

In the meantime, fill out a bug report with Thunderbird. They could be
more helpful.

FWIW: Outlook and Outlook Express can also search Message-IDs. So can
grep.

I'm glad, at least, that you now know that Message-Ids are not
completely "useless in every mail client [you] have ever used" -- it was
just you didn't know how to use any mail client you have ever used.

> > Put dovecot.org into your IMAP client (anonymous), and search there.
>
> That's more helpful.
>
> > But I agree: the Pipermail installation should be configured to include
> > Message-IDs so that google can search it for them.
>
> That would be nice too, but then the appropriate citation would be to
> the Google search, not just the bare Message-ID...

Why do you insist I dissect google queries?

You CAN ALWAYS make use of the Message-ID- even if your email client
presently makes it less convenient than you would like.

Google [would be] helpful [to me] if the archive has been indexed
recently, and I'm at work.

At home (however), I do my IMAP offline. Google is completely worthless
to me there.

So, no: the appropriate citation would be a Message-ID.

--
Internet Connection High Quality Web Hosting
http://www.internetconnection.net/