[Dovecot] dovecot-auth hangs with IO leak

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 16 21:36:03 EET 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 23:59 +0800, Alan Tam wrote:
> After recent upgrades from probably 0.99.10 to 0.99.13, these lines begin to appear in /var/log/mail.log:
>
> Feb  3 16:31:00 eta dovecot-auth: Login process has too old (123s) requests, killing it.
> Feb  3 16:31:00 eta dovecot-auth: Login process has too old (124s) requests, killing it.
..
> I think dovecot has some problem dealing with the pam_unix + pam_ldap configuration. Do you have any idea?

Did you upgrade anything else than Dovecot then? I just looked, nothing
has changed in PAM code between 0.99.10 and 0.99.13.

Also Dovecot can't know what PAM does internally. It just forks a new
process which executes the PAM stuff, and the main process just keeps
waiting for a reply and the PAM process dies then.

The above "has too old requests" messages come because the PAM process
gets stuck and never dies. I think this is an issue with the used PAM
modules. Of course, it might have something to do with Dovecot as well,
for example Dovecot and PAM modules using different versions of
libraries (eg. openssl, cyrus-sasl, ..).

Hmm. I should create a separate PAM checker binary for 1.0-tests anyway.
That won't be linked against any libraries and hopefully we won't see
any library conflicts after that. :)