[Dovecot] Auto Create Folders

Chris L. Franklin cfranklin at nomadcf.com
Mon Mar 21 16:30:30 EET 2005

>> "Dovecot doesn't create the mailbox; your local delivery agent may."

True and False, My MTA creates my inbox but anything else  (meaning
subfolders) would be upto the imap server to do so. A MTA's job is to
deliver mail to the inbox or hand it off the another "app" to have it dealt
with and delivered (or not).

>> "That would be the place to hook in and auto-create mailboxes."

Again True and False, If I wanted to be 100% sure a user had a certain
mailbox (we'll say a spam folder). Then your half right. I would want my MTA
to make sure every time a piece of mail came in for that user that it made
sure. that user had a "spam" folder. But that wouldn't help though if a user
deleted he mail box then logged out and back in and hadn't gotten a new
email. So again to be 100% Safe I'd need to

A: Have the MTA check and create the folder if needed (aka that's where this
email was going to be delivered to).

B: Have my imap server check and create the folder on Auth / login.

-- Chris L. Franklin --