[Dovecot] Multiple auth method problem

Timshel Knoll-Miller timshel at shels.net
Tue Mar 29 15:15:29 EEST 2005

Hi,

I'm having issues getting the multiple authentication methods of dovecot
1.0-test65 to work correctly on NetBSD. I am combining a MySQL database
of virtual host accounts with the system password database of local
machine accounts. Both work correctly when enabled on their own, but
when enabled together only the one listed first in the "auth default"
section of dovecot.conf  works - the other logs the following error
(line 5 below):

Mar 29 21:56:50 rivendell dovecot: Dovecot v1.0-test65 starting up
Mar 29 21:56:51 rivendell dovecot: auth(default): mysql: Connected to
127.0.0.1
(maildomains)
Mar 29 21:56:51 rivendell dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql:
Connected to 127
.0.0.1 (maildomains)
Mar 29 21:57:05 rivendell dovecot: auth-worker(default): BUG: PASSV had
invalid
passdb num
Mar 29 21:57:38 rivendell dovecot: Killed with signal 2

To the client, dovecot locks up when a LOGIN command is issued for a
user which can't be authenticated using the first method available (in
my case, passwd). So for me, /etc/passwd users can still log in ok, but
dovecot will lock up whenever a login with any other username is attempted.

Script started on Tue Mar 29 22:07:59 2005
[root at rivendell ttyp3 ~]# telnet localhost 143
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
. LOGIN timshel secret
. OK Logged in.
. LOGOUT
* BYE Logging out
. OK Logout completed.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[root at rivendell ttyp3 ~]# telnet localhost 143
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
. LOGIN timshel at shels.net secret
<dovecot locks up>
. LOGOUT
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
[root at rivendell ttyp3 ~]# telnet localhost 143
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
. LOGIN dummyuser dummypass
<dovecot locks up again>
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
[root at rivendell ttyp3 ~]#
Script done on Tue Mar 29 22:09:03 2005

My dovecot.conf file is attached - can anyone shed any light on this and
help me get going?

Cheers,

Timshel