[Dovecot] Restricting Services (POP or IMAP)

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Fri Aug 25 13:26:09 EEST 2006

On Friday 25 Aug 2006 10:49, Odhiambo WASHINGTON wrote:

> Isn't that true for any service that is started via inetd? It should
> work if you can start dovecot via inetd, but I don't like the idea
> either, coz using runit or daemontoools is better.

On the other hand xinetd offers most, if not all the advantage of these, is
backwardly compatible to inetd, supports libwrap, and provides other
features.

I think the real case to be made, is why do people keep making standalone
servers, with their own server logic, when  I've hacked servers into inetd or
xinetd.conf without actually changing the program that did what I wanted as a
standalone application.

More sophisticated servers make sense when doing event driven architectures,
but when doing a process/task per user type approach, it is probably better
to use something with the security features of xinetd than reimplement them
all over again, miss bits people want, and make mistakes that cause resource
exhaustion.