[Dovecot] SPA (NTLM) Authentication

Neil Briscoe neil.briscoe at adelix.com
Mon Aug 28 20:59:00 EEST 2006

Hello

I have just spent a happy day (!) configuring Exim4 to accept
authenticated connections from full blown Outlook clients.  That works.

Unfortunately, by ticking the "Use SPA" box in Outlook it now demands
SPA on the POP3 server as well.

The existing POP3 server doesn't support this style of authentication.
I believe Dovecot will.  We're already using it as an IMAP server.  What
I'm worried about is diverting its current view from /etc/passwd.

I have an /etc/exim4/passwd file which contains three fields for the
users tested so far, their name, an encrypted password, and a clear text
one.

Timo has already told me that the system needs access to the cleartext
password (or an NTLM style password) in order to work.

It would be nice if I could have the system check the /etc/exim4/passwd
file and if the user wasn't there then check the /etc/passwd file - and
ignore NTLM as it would normally.

Regards
Neil

--

Neil Briscoe
Adelix Ltd

Adelix Ltd is BS EN ISO 9001:2000 Certified (No. GB 12763)

Any views expressed in this email communication are those
of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of a member of Adelix Ltd.  Adelix Ltd. does not
represent, warrant or guarantee that the integrity of this communication
has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors or
interference.