[Dovecot] Dovecot with STARTTLS

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Sep 3 14:01:45 EEST 2006

On Saturday 02 September 2006 19:29, Peter Fern wrote:

[...]

> Rob's problem was different to yours, I think he may have accidentally
> replied to the wrong thread.  What you need to do before you can even
> try to fix any problems you may have is to TURN OFF YOUR ANTIVIRUS,
> whether it be on your local machine, an upstream transparent proxy, or
> the mail server itself, unless you can turn it off or bypass it, as has
> already been suggested to you, there's just no way we can even start to
> look at your problem.

I already solved it. It seems that the version of CA (Computer Associates)
ISafe POP3 Proxy that ZA (Zone Alarm) is using on their top of the line
products is not RFC 2595 compliant.

I did not at first realize that disabling ZA did not also shut down the AV
mail proxy. I had thought it would since they load together. ZA is aware of
the problem and has a work around for it. However, they claim it is CA's
prob;em to correct. This bug had existed for over a year and CA has no
intention of rewriting the source code to correct until they do a major
upgrade. Evidently, it is not just a small one or two line patch job.

If anyone else is having problems accessing Dovecot via STARTTLS with ZA
installed I can assist them in modifying their ZA configuration.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

Female rabbits:	The gift that just "keeps on giving."