[Dovecot] Corrupt mbox folders after migration from uw-imap

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Mon Sep 11 20:37:21 EEST 2006

On September 11, 2006 3:16:27 PM +1000 Ian Mortimer <ian at physics.uq.edu.au>
wrote:
> After migrating our mail server from uw-imap to dovecot at the
> weekend we've had a few corrupted mbox folders.  I assume this is
> due to messages with bad Content-length headers.  Is there any way of
> checking the Content-length of messages in mbox folders?

Use formail (part of procmail) to extract the messages as individual
files (mh style).  Then it's trivial to either check, recompute, or
just remove the Content-length headers.  Make sure you only do this
for the "main" message, not any Content-Length text in the body or
any attachments.  Then recombine each message into an mbox file.

-frank