[Dovecot] Corrupt mbox folders after migration from uw-imap

Ian Mortimer ian at physics.uq.edu.au
Tue Sep 12 06:48:12 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 10:37 -0700, Frank Cusack wrote:

> Use formail (part of procmail) to extract the messages as individual
> files (mh style).  Then it's trivial to either check, recompute, or
> just remove the Content-length headers.  Make sure you only do this
> for the "main" message, not any Content-Length text in the body or
> any attachments.  Then recombine each message into an mbox file.

Thanks.  With formail and procmail I was able to do what you suggest.
It found a few anomalies which I now have to investigate.

However it seems that's not the problem.  An inbox which passed the
"Content-Length:" test is getting corrupted every time the top (oldest)
message is deleted.  Either not all of the message gets deleted leaving
some lines at the top of the file before the first From line or else
part of the next message (usually just the From and a few other chars)
gets deleted.

Even weirder: if I fix the corrupted file, it immediately becomes
corrupted again if the new top message is deleted.  Any other messages
can be deleted but not the top one.

The client was using squirrelmail.

Anybody seen anything like this?

--