[Dovecot] Corrupt mbox folders after migration from uw-imap

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Wed Sep 13 02:04:58 EEST 2006

On September 13, 2006 12:39:39 AM +0200 Magnus Stenman <stone at hkust.se> wrote:
> Ian Mortimer wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 19:40 +0200, Magnus Stenman wrote:
>>> I usually just delete the extra line in vi.
>>
>> That sounds slightly dangerous.  Do you lock the Inbox while your
>> doing that?
>
> no.  vi will warn me if the file has changed since reading it, that is good enough for me

So "almost no protection" against corruption is "good enough" for you, then?

Assuming no NFS (in which case the problem is worse), the vim warning is
only useful if mail is delivered while you edit.  You can still be writing
out the file and then have a new mail be delivered before your vim write
is complete.  (or if vim uses a tmp file and does an atomic rename, you
can lose mail instead of corrupting the mbox)

-frank