[Dovecot] Corrupt mbox folders after migration from uw-imap

Magnus Stenman stone at hkust.se
Wed Sep 13 01:39:39 EEST 2006

Ian Mortimer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 19:40 +0200, Magnus Stenman wrote:
>
>> I have seen the same thing.
>>
>> dovecot 0.99, CentOS 4, squirrelmail (not verified that it affects
>> squirrel only users)
>
> dovecot 0.99, RHEL4.  It's not just affecting squirrelmail users
> here.  Both pop and imap clients are affected.  randomly (it seems)
> at an average of around 1 or 2 a day.
>
>> I usually just delete the extra line in vi.
>
> That sounds slightly dangerous.  Do you lock the Inbox while your
> doing that?

no.  vi will warn me if the file has changed since reading it, that is
good enough for me

> In our case it's not just a single extra line.  There's usually a couple
> of lines (blank and some with a few characters) before the first From
> line.
>
> I checked (again) that both procmail (LDA) and dovecot are creating and
> honouring lock files.  dotlocks at least seem to be working perfectly
> (and getting removed after 180s as configured in dovecot).

in my case the delivery agent is postfix virtual, but i suspect the
problem occurs when dovecot is rewriting the mailbox

> I've run out of ideas.
>
>> have since switched to dovecot 1.0, so far so good....
>
> I'm getting desperate enough to try that also.

I use a slightly modified dovecot RPM from ATrpms.net

pretty painless migration and as a bonus you get better out-of-quota
behavior and better logging (among other things)

/m