[Dovecot] Big sites using Dovecot

Bill Boebel bill at webmail.us
Fri Sep 22 04:16:58 EEST 2006

On Thu, September 21, 2006 1:14 pm, Jonathan <dovecot at redigloo.org> said:

> Are there any big Dovecot sites (say 50,000-100,000) users on this
> list?

Yes, Webmail.us.  Many multiples of that number :)

> What sort of hardware do you use.

80 backend IMAP servers.  5 front-end IMAP-proxy servers.  All running Dovecot.  The boxes are single AMD CPU, 1GB RAM, and 4 SATA drives.  DRBD used to replicate data between servers.

> What sort of problems do you see?

Dovecot doesn't need much CPU, but it needs a lot of disk.  So give it lots of spindles, either in one big box or many small boxes like we do.

Right now the only problem we have is the Dovecot proxy software sometimes disconnects imap sessions that it should not disconnect.  Since Timo is very busy, we are working on a patch for this.

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-August/015401.html

Bill