[Dovecot] Big sites using Dovecot

Robin Elfrink robin at 15augustus.nl
Fri Sep 22 12:05:29 EEST 2006

Bill Boebel wrote:

> 80 backend IMAP servers.  5 front-end IMAP-proxy servers.  All
> running Dovecot.  The boxes are single AMD CPU, 1GB RAM, and 4 SATA
> drives.  DRBD used to replicate data between servers.

I have a similar setup (though much, much, much smaller, appr. 35000
mailboxes). I have them split over two backend servers, and two frontend
servers. Anti-spam and anti-virus is done on the backends (because we do
that per mailbox).

-How many mailboxes do you run on one backend?
-Do you have any anti-spam/virus running on them or is that done earlier?
-Have you ever used perdition and if so, how does dovecot as a proxy
compare to that?
-Do you mind me asking these questions?

Robin