[Dovecot] Big sites using Dovecot

Luca Corti luca at leenoox.net
Wed Sep 27 01:19:47 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 21:16 -0400, Bill Boebel wrote:
> > Are there any big Dovecot sites (say 50,000-100,000) users on this
> > list?
> Yes, Webmail.us.  Many multiples of that number :)

Many means in the 10^6 order of magnitude? More?

> 80 backend IMAP servers.  5 front-end IMAP-proxy servers.  All running Dovecot.  The boxes are single AMD CPU, 1GB RAM, and 4 SATA drives.  DRBD used to replicate data between servers.

AFAIK DRBD can replicate data at the block device layer. So I imagine
only half of the backend servers are actually active (with a twin HA
passive host, or you have 80x2 actual servers) and frontends are
redirecting users to the correct backend IMAP server.
Is this correct?

ciao,

Luca