[Dovecot] System-wide sieve script?

Luca Corti luca at leenoox.net
Thu Sep 28 02:03:53 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 16:17 -0600, Ty! Boyack wrote:
> In the dovecot LDA documentation, it mentions having sieve scripts
> located in ~/.dovecot.sieve, which works great for per-user sieve code.
> I was trying to find out if there was a system-wide sieve script (maybe
> /etc/dovecot.sieve?) that would hopefully be run first, followed by any
> per-user sieve code.

Hello,

you can do this

lda {

# If there is no user-specific Sieve-script, global Sieve script is
# executed if set.
#global_script_path =

}

in dovecot.conf. If a recipent sieve script is not present the global
script will be. Personally I find this feature almost useless.

> Anyone know if this is already possible, or if not, if there are any
> plans to implement this?

Sometime ago I made a feature request about having
system-wide/domainwide/global scripts and executing them in a chain.
Lookup my "LDA Sieve feature request" thread in the mailing-list
archives. Basically objections were raised about how this should behave
exactely. I did not have the time to continue thinking about that at the
time. Maybe we can resume discussion on the logic and eventually come up
with some scheme which makes sense to propose Timo for implementation.

> I'm assuming one could make a kludgey fix by having every .dovecot.sieve
> include a system-wide file, but that would allow a user to remove that
> "include" if they choose.  I'd like to have a centrally controlled,
> immutable set of rules that all mail goes through.

I thought about this too and this is doable if you manage your scripts
through Horde Ingo, IIRC. But this is ugly at best. I would like to be
able to put this into dovecot.conf too.

> If I missed something in the wiki or archives, I offer my apologies in
> advance.

You did ;)

ciao

Luca