[Dovecot] managesieve proxy

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Wed Apr 4 18:56:26 EEST 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:44:07 -0600
Neale Pickett <neale at woozle.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 9:24 am, Marshal Newrock wrote:
> > We have dovecot on a pop/imap server working as a proxy to dovecot
> > on the backend storage servers.  This is working fine, but the
> > difficulty is that if I use, for example, avelsieve in
> > squirrelmail, it doesn't know where to connect.  I imagine the same
> > problem would exist with sieve-capable mail clients such as KMail,
> > especially since the outside world isn't allowed to connect
> > directly to the storage servers.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a way to proxy managesieve?
>
> There are no managesieve protocol proxies, but you could proxy it at
> the TCP level.
>
> Something like tcpproxy will let you forward TCP connection to
> another host. I think you can even configure netcat to do this.  Of
> course, your proxy machine can probably also do this in the IP
> stack.  On Linux, for instance, you could use iptables.

That would work for a single backend machine, but not for multiple
machines.

If there's no managesieve proxies, then I imagine my best bet will be
to modify avelsieve to be able to determine which backend server to
connect to.  In the short run, I think avelsieve also has an option to
connect to a different server.  That should be sufficient for testing
purposes.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com