[Dovecot] 1.0.rc30 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Apr 7 11:14:40 EEST 2007

On 6.4.2007, at 21.14, Justin McAleer wrote:

> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On 6.4.2007, at 17.55, Justin McAleer wrote:
>>
>>> Timo, in rc30, deliver is not creating user directories properly.
>>> It looks like it goes straight to creating the maildir, without
>>> creating the home directory first if it doesn't exist. It also
>>> seems to be doing this before chrooting, as the following errors
>>> occur even after manually creating the home directory (with
>>> proper permissions):
>>>
>>> Apr  6 10:26:23 node7 postfix/qmgr[21815]: D2242D39A5: from=<>,
>>> size=556, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
>>> Apr  6 10:26:23 node7 deliver(user at example.com): mkdir(/cur)
>>> failed: Permission denied
>>
>> Looks like deliver doesn't chroot at all if you did chrooting by
>> using /./ in the home directory. Since deliver doesn't work that
>> great chrooted anyway (can't send bounces by running sendmail),
>> maybe this is a good thing.
>>

> For the record, I was not using /./ in the home directory. For this
> user the home directory (and maildir) is /var/mailstore/af/4f/
> 510590. While that may be a good thing, that deliver fails to
> create a user's maildir is a big problem for me, as I will have to
> actively provision maildirs for all new accounts before they can
> receive mail (or be converted)... so for the record, can I no
> longer count on dovecot to create user directories that don't exist?

Umm. So are you even trying to use the chrooting? Deliver doesn't try
to do that by default. So if it's trying to create /cur directory, it
sees the mail directory as /.

>>> Also, the convert plugin seems to assume the home dir exists when
>>> it tries to create it's lock file. However, manually creating the
>>> home dir does allow convert to continue successfully.
>>
>> This happens only if it the source storage creation succeeds. So
>> you're moving user's home directory also?
>>

> All I'm dealing with here is mail. I'm converting from CommuniGate
> mailboxes to dovecot, so the whole concept of a home directory is
> just a technicality. In fact, I was initially just setting users'
> home to '' and using the mail_location setting to generate the
> path. The only reason I went back to setting home is because
> convert seems to create it's lock file in the home dir (so lock
> creation was failing trying to open /.temp...).  Here is what I'm
> feeding to convert:

Yea, it does. Maybe you could set the home directory to be the
CommuniGate's directory? In any case I don't really like the idea of
convert plugin creating home directory.

An alternative is for you to create the home directory yourself
before Dovecot runs: http://wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting