[Dovecot] v1.1 plans

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Tue Apr 17 22:41:22 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Features that I'm planning on implementing:
>
>  - Fully supported shared mailboxes and IMAP ACL extension
>  - Replace Squat FTS indexes with my new design
>  - Case-insensitive searches with non-ASCII text as well
>  - Maybe add support for all kinds of IMAP extensions that can be easily
> supported. LEMONADE extensions especially: CONDSTORE, CATENATE and maybe
> even URLAUTH if I can figure out how it should work.
>
> If a feature can be implemented completely as a plugin, it could still
> come in v1.1.beta stage, because it won't destabilize the rest of the
> Dovecot anyway.

In my testing of using sql dictionary for quota, it appears pretty
buggy. Are you aware of such problems? Either way, would you consider
reliable dictionary quota support a target for 1.1? I did find that it
seemed to blow maildir++ away in terms of performance. We have a few
really large maildirs that basically choke when quota is enabled using
maildir++ (200,000+ messages).

On top of the performance gains, gathering disk usage for billing
changes from parsing hundreds of thousands of maildirsize files (and du
-s or equivalent for those really large maildirs, ugh) to a single sql
query, Even more, we could explore enforcing quota on our mail gateways
if they just need a sql connection for realtime usage info. So, as you
can imagine, I would love to be able to use dictionary in a production
environment :)

And just to be clear, I am not trying to demand that any of this gets
priority or anything, just trying to gauge your intentions and maybe
throw out some ideas to show the potential value :) Congrats on hitting
1.0.0.