[Dovecot] Some of my IMAP Folders vanished in some MUAs

Dominik Schulz lkml at ds.gauner.org
Fri Aug 3 15:39:57 EEST 2007

Am Freitag, 3. August 2007 13:52 schrieb Charles Marcus:
> Please don't top-post... :)
Uhm, ok. That's a no-go these days?
> >> it may be a susbscription problem, with the "old" clients showing
> >> all the folders and the "new" ones showing only the subscribed
> >> ones.
> >> See if you can subscribe to the missing folders, or change the
> >> default setting to show all folders.
>  > that's it :) Thank you very much.
>  > For the records: Dovecot is fine, I have to blame the MUAs.
> Eh? Folder subscription is such a basic feature/function of IMAP that I
> would not blame the MUA in this case, I'd blame the user... ;)
Yes, ok. Thats probably the case. I, as the administrator, should have known
better, but I don't expect my end-users to know anything about IMAP at all.
They just get the credentials to enter into their MUAs and shouldn't have to
worry about anything else.
>  > This is not what I call "user-friendly".
> Do you have a better way of managing folder subscriptions? As history
> has shown, Timo is very open to innovating in dovecot...
No, I don't. Please don't get me wrong. I very happy with dovecot. It's
exactly as I expect it to be. I was just confused by the way different
versions of, e.g. Thunderbird, handle subscriptions.

Best Regards
Dominik