[Dovecot] Some of my IMAP Folders vanished in some MUAs

Fri Aug 3 17:31:58 EEST 2007

>> Please don't top-post... :)

> Uhm, ok. That's a no-go these days?

It always makes list discussion difficult to read... bottom posting and
snipping irrelevant material makes for clean, simple, intelligible threads.

>> Eh? Folder subscription is such a basic feature/function of IMAP
>> that I would not blame the MUA in this case, I'd blame the user...
>> ;)

> Yes, ok. Thats probably the case. I, as the administrator, should
> have known better, but I don't expect my end-users to know anything
> about IMAP at all. They just get the credentials to enter into their
> MUAs and shouldn't have to worry about anything else.

Well, since I've never met a mail client that completely configures
itself, you have to make up for this with, complete, clear and concise
written user instructions... then be prepared to deal with the ones who
will simply refuse to read and/or comprehend what you took such pains to
write up for them.

>>> This is not what I call "user-friendly".

>> Do you have a better way of managing folder subscriptions? As
>> history has shown, Timo is very open to innovating in dovecot...

> No, I don't. Please don't get me wrong. I very happy with dovecot.
> It's exactly as I expect it to be. I was just confused by the way
> different versions of, e.g. Thunderbird, handle subscriptions.

Understandable... but as you pointed out, that isn't a dovecot
issue/problem... ;)

And I hope you weren't offended by my short/to the point reply - none
was intended...

--

Best regards,

Charles