[Dovecot] Bug? Expunging Symlinked Maildir w/ Lazy_expunge Enabled

Rich at Whidbey Telecom richs at whidbey.net
Wed Aug 29 19:04:26 EEST 2007

Hi all,

Using Dovecot 1.0.3 on RedHat Enterprise 5 (kernel 2.6.18-8.1.6.el5PAE),
and NFS storage, we symlinked a Maildir folder:

/mailstore/user/Maildir/.Junk -> /junkstore/user/Junkmaildir

Everything works fine, until we try to expunge, which produces:

   A04 NO BUG: Unknown internal error

This only happens if "lazy_expunge" is enabled:

   mail_plugins = quota imap_quota acl lazy_expunge
   lazy_expunge = .EXPUNGED/ .EXPUNGED/ .EXPUNGED/

Lazy_expunge works great on non-symlinked folders.  We tried version 1.1
alpha2, which actually crashes in this scenario.

The only fix we've found is to disable "lazy_expunge".  Attached is our
"dovecot -n" config.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this or a workaround?

Thanks!

Rich
richs at whidbey.net